Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Change who? . . . Me?

Life with Chase had been a . . well. . . blessing? I love my child with all my heart, but he drives me to frustration, distraction and everything in between. Apparently I was a strong-willed, stubborn and determined child when I was younger as well. My mom still believes God led James Dobson to write The Strong Willed Child just so my dad and her could parent me. I have actually seen their copy, basically the whole book is highlighted and underlined. I just have no idea what they are talking about!!!

Anyway, I have been reading the Childwise series (Growing Kids Gods Way) for help and advice on parenting and discipline. A friend let me borrow some tapes in conjunction to the series and I was quite anxious to learn how to change my child's wild behaviors. The tapes gave lots of advice but then they turned the finger towards me. I had no idea how I could/should change through all of this, besides Chase is the problem right?? I learned how my attitudes, behaviors, frustrations and thoughts could be causing his lack of obedience.

Since I have been scheduling our day (yes when I say scheduling I mean every 15 minutes of our day is accounted for and filled) and changing our discipline, Chase has turned into a drastically different child. I have had so many people comment on the difference they have seen in him. I have learned that parenting is more than just raising kids, it involves prayer and guidance from others wiser than yourself.

Moms Notes: "It is not isolation from the world but immersion in the word that allows us to be in the world but not of it."

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Hey Megan, I found your blog through Raegan's blog. I like this post and that quote at the end is great!